Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Summer Garden

My spring garden turned out rather disappointing- heavy rains and a lack of gutters colluded to drown many of my seedlings. Then, last two weeks of 90-degree temperatures finished off the survivors. Such is the life of a SoCal gardener- the average is 70 degrees but we seem to just swing through the extremes, rarely sitting at "average".

So I threw up my hands and started my summer garden. It's been 90 after all, right?  I had given an earlier start to my zucchini plants in the hope that they'd establish and bear fruit before being overwhelmed by the tomato plants like last year. The plan appears to be working- I already have one little zucchini. There are currently three plants- I'll see how crazy that is I guess. I also started snow peas earlier, and after a very slow start, they appear to be on their way to productivity. We had our first tasty, small batch this weekend.

For the rest of the garden, I put in the following this weekend:
The peas & zucchini have a good start.
Debris is from work on the front yard. 




3 kinds of tomatoes:
- Sweet 100 (Returning this year after a spectacular crop last year)
- Hillbilly (Jon wanted an heirloom variety- this seemed appropriate)
- Pantano Romanesco Italian Heirlom

3 varieties of peppers:
- Golden Bell
- Purple Beauty
-Giallo di Cuneo

And the following:
- Kentucky Wonder string beans
- Little Leaf pickling cucumbers
- Little Finger Carrots
- Tatsoi (spring garden)
- Golden beats
- Pak Choi & Gailan

Updates to come. For the moment, the garden is enjoying rain and 49 degree temperatures. So much for summer...

3 comments:

  1. Your garden sounds so healthy, all those vegetables. Is there such a thing as a toast plant? Hot buttered toast fruit that you can spread some honey on after you pluck it from the toaster vine? Goes great with a cup of hot, black coffee.
    I'll take your 'rain and 49' and raise you one, we see the coy, teasing sun for about 5 minutes once per week, then it's cool, cloudy and rainy again. Spring is a bust this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a toast plant, especially if it came with jelly! Sorry about the rain- you can always come down and visit me and the sunshine. Just say'in. If you come in mid summer though, you'll probably be force-feed zucchini, tomatoes, and beans until you burst. Alternatively, you'll be conscripted into helping me preserve veggies for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous of your tomato-growing opportunities. Everything sounds delicious! Are you giving tat soi a second chance for summer, or is it the one soldier still thriving from the spring garden?

    ReplyDelete